Hampshire firefighters back hair straightener safety campaign

Hampshire firefighters back hair straightener safety campaign

Published by The Spire FM News Team at 6:12am 4th March 2016.

3 minute read

Do you remember to #PullThePlug on your straighteners? They've caused 650,000 house fires across the country.

Straighteners are part of the daily routine for millions of women but if they're not used properly they can pose a serious risk of a house fire.

An estimated 650,000 house fires in the UK have been caused by straighteners or similar devices, like curling tongs, being left switched on.

Hampshire Fire & Rescue are backing a new campaign by Electrical Safely First called 'Pull the Plug' to remind people to switch off their beauty appliances.

One in twelve women have left their hair straighteners switched ON at least once and almost half of women have panicked about leaving an electrical beauty device switched on when they're out and about.

Straighteners can reach temperatures of more than 235C and can take up to 40 minutes to cool down. Considering that they reach temperatures hotter than a deep fat-fryer, there's a very high risk of damage or fire if left near flammable materials.

HERE'S HOW MUCH DAMAGE THEY CAN CAUSE:

Straighteners Fire 3 (Hampshire Fire and Rescue)

Straighteners Fire 1 (Hampshire Fire and Rescue)

One in three women age 18 to 24 have been burnt by an electrical beauty appliance.

The advice is to pull the plug on your appliances, switch them off when you've finished using them, and leave them to cool on a mat or heat proof surface.

Earlier this year, Trevor and Marjorie Yoxall from Staffordshire lost their dog Buster in a house fire after a hairdryer was left plugged in on the dressing table. Their house was also badly damaged and they have had to move into temporary accommodation and estimate it will be months before they can move back in.

Straighteners Fire 4 (Hampshire Fire and Rescue)

Assistant Chief Officer Steve Foye, Head of Community Safety at Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, told Spire FM News:

"The dangers of leaving appliances such as straighteners on are stark. Fire safety might not immediately spring to mind during a beauty routine, but it's vital that people remember to take care as they get ready to go out."

Electrical Safety First has put together a video to go alongside the campaign:

And to find out more, you can visit their website at www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk

You can also share the story on social media using the hashtag #PullThePlug

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Spire FM

© Copyright 2020 Spire FM, A UKRD group company