Man jailed for assaulting police officers in Tidworth

Kieran Hutchinson Tidworth Jail Sentence January 2019

Published by Faye Tryhorn at 2:13pm 11th January 2019.

Kieran Hutchinson headbutted one officer, spat at two others and damaged a custody property.

The 25 year old from Cuckoo Pen Close in Collingbourne Kingston (pictured here) was arrested at Pewsey House, Wylye Road in Tidworth on October 24th 2018.

Police were called out to reports of a man being 'extremely aggressive' while intoxicated.

He became verbally abusive and intimidating to officers, threatening to kill them and their families.

Hutchinson was eventually tasered.

Pewsey House Tidworth
Pewsey House, where the incident took place


While being handcuffed and removed from the scene, he head-butted an officer, causing concussion which needed hospital treatment.

He continued to be violent within the police van, and caused himself a head injury that was treated at Salisbury District Hospital.

Once in custody, he caused damaged to clothing and bedding he was given there.


Hutchinson appeared at Salisbury Crown Court yesterday (Thursday January 10th).

He admitted assaulting a police officer and criminal damage.

He's been sentenced to 22 months in prison.

PC Aaron Pedliham said:

"I am pleased that Hutchinson has received a custodial sentence - his behaviour was completely unacceptable. He was violent, threatening and abusive throughout his arrest and journey to custody. He was highly intoxicated and showed no respect for anybody around him."

Salisbury Law Courts - end of building (Mike Draper)
Hutchinson's been given a 22 month prison sentence

Wiltshire Chief Constable Kier Pritchard also provided a statement, which was read out in court:

"My staff work tirelessly to protect the public from situations which may involve, threat, risk or harm and will often place themselves into harm's way in order to undertake this duty.

"It is my belief that being physically or verbally assaulted should never be tolerated or considered to be acceptable as part of their public duty.

"Following this incident, I personally spoke to the officers involved - one of these officers informed me that as a result of the assault, he had damaged the nerve endings in his head and this required him to be on a high level of medication. He was put on recuperative duties which not only impacted on him, but his colleagues, not to mention the impact on his social and family life.

"Behaviour of this nature towards those who are simply trying to protect the public is completely unacceptable and I am pleased that on this occasion, the courts have recognised the impact of this man's actions."

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Spire FM

© Copyright 2019 Spire FM, A UKRD group company